Welcome to my blog

We moved to Ireland with the notion of building our "dream" home in May 2007 after purchasing the site earlier on that year. Mr C is Irish and originally from Limerick but he remains in the UK during the week, his job is running www.cruise.co.uk and earning the bucks that will hopefully allow us to "live the dream."

It's taken us almost two years but ground will be broken on the site by the end of May 09!! A lot of blood, sweat & loads of tears (all mine!) have gone into this project already, we left a fabulous house behind in Newcastle...and now for my Kevin McLeod bit, "can the new build can live up to my expectations and the old house we left behind"? I'm not sure...keep watching my blog and you'll find out!!

Monday, April 26, 2010

pebble tiles are.....

"a pain in the ass
(if you'd ask Johnny the tiler) and I tend to agree!  They have been a right pain to install and on top of that I'm just not keen, there needs to be a bit of strategic removal for sure!



it all started off so well
The first few pebble tile sheets went on and it was smiles all round....I walked off happy at this point that pebble tiles were most definitely the way to go!


Trying to get the right amount of grout was tricky...too little and you can see the joins....too much and it hides the pebbles.  Our current issue is finding the right sealer.   The one I purchased (gallons of) is too matt.  We need to find a suitable alternative that will give the pebbles a slight sheen.....answers on a postcard (ok gmail) please if anyone out there in blog land has any recommendations


This is roughly where we are at right now....the word "Flinstones" keeps on passing through my mind, no matter how much I try to replace it with the word "Spa".  I'm hoping they will grow on me, I'm reserving my final judgement on whether 'pebble tiles must go' til I see the finished article, when the fittings are in and the walls and ceiling are painted white. 


I should point out here that it's just the one wall of pebble tiles, everywhere else is going to a plain white painted finish.

luckily I'm happy with the flooring (huge sigh of relief there!).   
Just as well really as the en-suites in my older girls bedrooms have this floor tile and tiling has started in there already...more pics to follow soon!


I've decided to carry on blogging regardless of my paranoia after the attempted break-in on site!!


Don't forget...any tips on a good sealer for the pebble tiles...drop me a line, Mrs C xx



**update** 

Ok so now I'm looking at these tiles and definitely feeling the Fred & Wilma vibe...definitely O.D'd on the pebbles!!  need to have a quick re-assess of the situation, some strategic pebble removal needed me now knows for sure!!

6 comments:

  1. HI,I LOVE THE PEBBLE TILE!ONCE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN THERE AND THEN DECORATE IT WOW!! VERY STRIKING! IM GLAD YOU ARE STILL GOING TO BLOG,MOST LIKLY THE BREAK IN PEOPLE HAVE NEVER SAW YOUR BLOG JUST THE HOUSE BEING BUILT,IT MAKES ONE SO ANGRY TO HAVE STUFF LIKE THAT HAPPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scot7, nice to hear from you again. I'm not quite convinced with the pebble tiles...I'm most likely going to remove some from behind the bath...a bit of "less is more" is needed...ha ha!!

    Trying to forget about the break-in, this blogging thing becomes addictive, so would have found it real hard just to STOP!

    Mrs C xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be right about the pebbles being a wee bit OTT, I really do like them but perhaps a simpler finish to complement them will make them even more striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise,

    thanks for stopping by on the blog and for your comments.

    Am learning on the job...and am no interior design guru for sure!! I can't get a pic of the whole bathroom on my little camera, but believe me everything else in the room is tile free, simple and white!!

    Mrs C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very difficult to visualise the end product, at least now you have a chance to reevaluate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that shower ♥

    ~lisa~

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy....it's great to receive a comment!