Welcome to my blog

We moved to Ireland with the notion of building our "dream" home in May 2007 after purchasing the site earlier on that year. Mr C is Irish and originally from Limerick but he remains in the UK during the week, his job is running www.cruise.co.uk and earning the bucks that will hopefully allow us to "live the dream."

It's taken us almost two years but ground will be broken on the site by the end of May 09!! A lot of blood, sweat & loads of tears (all mine!) have gone into this project already, we left a fabulous house behind in Newcastle...and now for my Kevin McLeod bit, "can the new build can live up to my expectations and the old house we left behind"? I'm not sure...keep watching my blog and you'll find out!!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Set in Stone

The north facing exterior wall of the family room is going to get its stone cladding very soon.  This is a detail the local planning department seemed to like and who were we object!  I was a bit hesitant at first, at the thought of what seemed like "random" cladding, but would have been willing to clad it in cotton wool just to get planning approved if I'm totally honest!  However I'm now almost converted to the idea.  



The rational behind the cladding and indeed the shape of the house was to break up it's "mass" and impact on the local landscape, so to create the impression that it could have been a series of buildings joined together. Couldn't really see why the planners weren't keen on my initial plans and why it was necessary to go down this route.....however, now I see my house taking shape, I think they may have got it just right!!


 Anyway, all this means that I now have to choose a stone to clad the said wall in.  I've decided to go with a dry limestone finish, similar to this picture above. This particular limestone comes from Cong in Co. Mayo.  A sample of this stone now needs to be approved by the planning office....hope they like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy....it's great to receive a comment!